Your back-office team’s to-do list is both abundant and crucial, and as they manage post-service payments, they face new challenges due to rising patient financial responsibilities and value-based reimbursement. Think about what can happen when you wait until post service to manage patient payments:
- Your patients have to wait days—sometimes weeks or more—to know their financial responsibilities
- Your team must send multiple statements to secure payment
- Your team must manage mailed payments, process checks and take payments via phone
On the other hand, realigning patient payments to the front office with the help of automated patient payment solutions can create a more proactive and streamlined workflow, allowing you to:
- Make patients aware of their financial responsibility early so they can prepare
- Provide an eStatement so patients can pay online—enabling earlier payment with fewer follow ups
- Get a commitment from patients to pay and securely store their card information to be automatically charged when payment is due
Shifting patient payment tasks from your back-office team can allow them to focus on other tasks, which can be especially helpful as they adapt to value-based care. After all, isn’t it always better to try and work smarter not harder (especially during the busy holiday season)?
To learn strategies for shifting patient payments from the back office to the front office, view my presentation, Win at Patient Payments and Make Friends at Automation, which Jeff Wood and I recently presented at the MGMA 2016 Annual Conference.
How is your organization updating processes to work smarter not harder? Have you automated your patient payment processes?