With so much to do before the ICD-10 implementation deadline on October 1, 2014, practices can’t have too many ICD-10 resources on hand. There are a lot of websites you can consult to find everything from timelines to educational tools to “best practice” strategies. Here are just a few:
- From the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS): The CMS website provides practical strategies for meeting the ICD-10 implementation deadline. It also offers valuable links to additional resources where you can sign up for CMS ICD-10 email updates, read the original ICD-10 final rule, and more.
- From the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA): The information on AHIMA ICD-10 Central is arranged according to how far along you are in your ICD-10 implementation plans. One section is dedicated to resources that can help you understand ICD-10-CM/PCS. Another helps you assess your ICD-10 implementation needs, while a separate section offers training and education resources. You’ll also find links to a newsletter, ICD-10 updates and more.
- From the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC): Information on the AAPC ICD-10 Training website is organized by role. You’ll find courses created for coders, as well as courses created for physicians and office/clinic staff. The site also includes links to ICD-10 implementation tips, services, books and codes.
- From the AAPC and Navicure: ICD-10 Hub has been developed as a joint educational offering from the AAPC and web-based clearinghouse Navicure. It includes the latest ICD-10 news and tips, as well as a resource center, an active ICD-10 blog, and even an ICD-9/ICD-10 code conversion tool.
- From the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS): The HIMSS ICD-10 PlayBook includes ICD-10 news, sponsored content, implementation templates and educational resources. For example, the site features a link to the HIMSS G7 Advisory Report: Implementing ICD-10 by the Compliance Date: A Call to Action, which outlines four industry recommendations and next steps to ease the ICD-10 transition.
- From Healthcare IT News and Healthcare Finance News: Blog-style articles and comments posted on ICD-10 Watch offer an industry-wide forum on ICD-10 news and issues. A helpful ICD-10 code lookup tool is provided as well.
What other resources have you found helpful as you start preparing for ICD-10? Let us know.