Driving, household chores, and ordering food – it seems these days that everything is getting the tech treatment and becoming automated. Your self-driving car will ferry you safely on the interstate without you ever touching the wheel, or your Roomba will sweep up the living room while you’re at work. There’s a reason these tech upgrades are happening – they save us time and just make life easier.
Now that I can tap my phone and have my favorite foods delivered to my door, it seems like I was wasting time before, having to make calls or drive to pick up take-out. Just like these tasks outside of the office, there are some things that need to be automated in your organization to save you time and effort. Giving your processes the tech treatment will allow staff more time for other things, and allow them to spend more time focusing on your patients.
Here are 12 things that your office staff may be doing that should be automated:
- Collecting credit card information: Use a secure credit card scanner and credit-card-on-file (CCOF) solution, instead.
- Following up with patient bills: Use an automated patient payments program that will send reminders and emails automatically, with no scheduling or hassle needed.
- Checking claims for errors: Programs that scrub claims save time on the front and back-end of claims management.
- Reviewing rejected or denied claims: A computer program can review rejections or denials more quickly, and find consistencies to help avoid denials in the future.
- Mailing patient bills: It’s 2017 and your patients have gone digital – isn’t it time their bills did, too?
- Digging through claims and patient data: Just like automation, big data is everywhere, and your team can harness its power to become a lean, mean, collections machine.
- Checking patient eligibility: 24-hours before their appointment, have a program run the patient’s eligibility and provide a payment estimate to save staff time at the beginning of the appointment.
- Manually updating patient information: iPads, kiosks, portals – the possibilities are endless for patients to enter their own data.
- Reviewing historical remittance data: Have a computer dig through historical data, not your practice admins.
- Ballparking cost estimates: Estimation solutions will look at remittance data, insurance updates and more to provide patients with a cost estimate for upcoming services.
- Tracking claims and following up with payers by phone: Claims management solutions will help you track claims in real time, so you can jump on issues faster to push a claim through to completion.
- Constantly communicate confusing billing processes to patients: Instead of sending several paper bills with confusing information, provide an up-front estimate, keep credit card information on file & bill patients automatically using email reminders, which automates the patient’s tasks, as well as yours.
Learn more about ways your staff can succeed in our on-demand webinar: Transform your Front Office into a Patient Collections Machine.